These Chicken Fajitas are the perfect easy and healthy meal. Loaded with perfectly seasoned chicken and veggies and served with the yummiest toppings, this is a meal you’ll be making every night!
JUMP TO RECIPE </a> </div> <ul> <li class="nav-heading">General</li><li><a class="" href="#ingredients">Ingredients</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_make">How to make</a></li><li><a class="" href="#recipe">Get the recipe</a></li><li><a class=" watch-video" href="#recipe_video">Step-by-step video</a></li><li class="nav-heading">Frequently Asked Questions</li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_season_chicken">How to season chicken</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_cut_chicken_veggies">How to cut chicken/veggies</a></li><li><a class="" href="#are_fajitas_healthy">Are fajitas healthy?</a></li><li><a class="" href="#variations">Variations</a></li><li><a class="" href="#pairing_suggestions">Pairing suggestions</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_store">How to store</a></li><li><a class="" href="#nutrition_info">Nutrition information</a></li></ul></div>
These chicken fajitas one of my favorite dinners! They take only 20 minutes of hands-on time so not only are they absolutely delicious but they’re perfect if I don’t feel like spending tons of time cooking!
- Chicken Breast – or chicken thighs if preferred. Use boneless and skinless.
- Orange Juice, Lime Juice, and Lemon Juice, and Soy Sauce – the base for the marinade. I like to squeeze my own juice for extra freshness!
- Paprika, Cumin, Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt, and Pepper – a homemade fajita seasoning mix that adds so much flavor.
- Olive Oil – used for cooking both the chicken and the veggies.
- Red, Green, and Yellow Bell Peppers and Red Onion – you can’t have fajitas without the classic fajita veggie blend. I like to use all three peppers for color.
- Tortillas, Sour Cream, Shredded Lettuce, Guacamole, Feta, and Cilantro – optional, for serving.
How to make
This recipe really couldn’t get any easier! Just 30 minutes and you’re set for dinner!
- Whisk together orange, lime, and lemon juice, soy sauce, and seasonings in a medium-sized bowl.
- Place your chicken into a ziplock baggie or bowl then pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken. Let that marinate for up to 8 hours.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet then add in peppers, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook until the veggies are tender then remove and set aside.
- Heat more olive oil in the same skillet the add in chicken and cook until it’s reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Add peppers and onion back in then serve and enjoy!
How to season chicken
For this chicken fajita recipe, we’re whipping up a homemade marinade with freshly squeezed juice and soy sauce and a fajita spice blend using paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. It’s super easy to make and so yummy!
If preferred, you can use a store-bought fajita seasoning blend but I definitely recommend making your own.
How to cut chicken and veggies for fajitas
The classic way to cut veggies and chicken for fajitas is into strips. I cut mine into 1/2-3/4 inch thick strips for even cooking!
Are chicken fajitas healthy?
They sure are! Fajitas are packed with lean protein and veggies so they’re delicious AND good for you!
- Use other veggies. Add mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, broccoli, or all of the above!
- Spice it up. Mix in some sliced jalapeño peppers or add red pepper flakes.
- Try a different meat. Use turkey or steak instead.
- Make it vegetarian. Just leave out the meat or you can even use tofu instead of chicken
- Make it gluten-free. Sub the soy sauce for a gluten-free variety and use gluten-free tortillas.
What to serve with chicken fajitas
I like to top my fajitas with sour cream, shredded lettuce, guacamole, feta cheese, and cilantro. I also like to serve the fajitas up with a couple of yummy side dishes!
How to store
Store leftover fajita filling in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, let it thaw in the fridge (if frozen) then microwave or heat on stovetop until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or gluten free alternative
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt more to less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 red onion sliced
- Tortillas sour cream, shredded lettuce, guacamole, feta, cilantro, etc. optional for serving
Place chicken into a gallon sized ziplock baggie and set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Pour the mixture over the chicken and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high/high heat.
Once hot, add in bell peppers and onion.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook the peppers and onion until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Stir regularly with tongs to prevent burning.
Remove and set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and dump in the contents of the ziplock baggie.
Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes. Stir regularly with tongs to prevent burning.
Add the peppers/onion back in, taste and re-season, if necessary, and serve with all your favorite fajita fixings!