This Chocolate Shortbread recipe makes buttery, extra chocolaty cookies that are crisp at the edges with a rich flavor and melty texture.
Looking for traditional shortbread? I have a great Classic Shortbread Recipe that is fantastic AND it’s only 3 ingredients!
My Chocolate Shortbread Recipe Is For the True Chocolate Lover!
Let me tell you, I LOVE this recipe. It is over the top extra chocolaty and I am obsessed. I have too many times had a chocolate cookie that has just a hint of chocolate flavor, typically being very light in color…and of course that’s fine, but it isn’t what I’m looking for when I want something to cure my chocolate craving.
Today’s Chocolate Shortbread Recipe is absolutely the chocolate cookie if you love chocolate. It’s delicious, easy to make, and honestly the perfect chocolate cookie ever.
My Shortbread Is a Classic Slice and Bake Recipe
The beauty of this cookie recipe is that while it is simple to make it makes a big impact. You can dress them up or enjoy them in their original simplicity.
I love adding mini chocolate chips to my recipe, but you can leave them out if you prefer…or use some of these other ideas…
Here Are Some Ideas On How To Take Your Chocolate Shortbread To The Next Level
- Dip them in either melted chocolate or white chocolate
- Use festive sprinkles on the melted chocolate, which look especially pretty on a holiday platter!
- Sprinkle them with flaked sea salt when they come out of the oven for a salty/sweet kick!
- Make a half batch of buttercream frosting and create your own Homemade Oreo Cookies!
- Add in finely chopped dried cherries into the cookie dough for a chocolate covered cherry spin!
How To Make Chocolate Shortbread
This is a great make ahead cookie recipe. I know at the holidays when you’re baking tons of different types of cookie recipes it’s nice to have some where you can make the dough ahead.
This dough is made with all cocoa powder, which makes it quite easy. If you want an even deeper chocolate flavor use Dutch Process or Special Dark cocoa powder. I don’t find it needs the extra dark, as I generally make it with just regular unsweetened cocoa powder, but the level of intensity is up to you!
Prepare the easy cookie dough in advance and then wrap it in cling wrap to chill. When you’re ready, slice it and bake it!
I make these and enjoy one with a cup of coffee. It’s a real treat for me, especially when I’m craving a sweet treat, but don’t want to overdo it!
Looking For More Shortbread Recipes? Try These:
This subtly sweet chocolate shortbread is rich, packed with chocolate and perfect with a cup of coffee!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low and add in the salt and cocoa powder. Mix for 15 seconds and then turn mixer up to medium and mix for 30 more seconds until the cocoa powder is evenly combined.
- Turn mixer back down to low and add in the flour and chocolate chips, mixing just until dough comes together and the flour is no longer visible.
- Place an 18- inch piece of plastic wrap on your counter. Place the dough onto the plastic wrap and using your hands form the dough into a 12-inch log. Wrap the dough tightly in the plastic wrap and refrigertae for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unwrap the dough and slice it into 1/4- inch pieces. Lay the cookies flat on the baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes, until set.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store airtight at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Keywords:: cookies and cups, cookie recipe, shortbread, chocolate shortbread, cookies, christmas cookies
Want To Save This Recipe?