French Onion Dip is a classic for good reason (and easy to make)! Caramelized onions are folded into a creamy base and seasoned to perfection.
This dip is always a crowd favorite and pairs well with everything from chips to veggies.
What is French Onion Dip? A quick french onion dip is often made with onion soup mix and sour cream, however, making it homemade with real caramelized onions makes it 1000x better. It takes a bit of extra time but I promise, it’s worth it.
How to Make French Onion Dip
This dip is easy to prepare with just 2 simple steps. The little extra time spent preparing this dip is well worth it in the end!
- Saute chopped onions until soft and lightly caramelized. Low and slow is the trick here!
- Combine the remainder of the ingredients and add the cooled onions.
Cover tightly and refrigerate at least two hours before serving the dip chilled.
What to Serve with It?
The original dippers for French Onion Dip have always been plain potato chips. But there are so many delicious options to serve with it!
- Veggies: celery sticks, button mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower florets are a real hit and look spectacular on a serving platter.
- Bread: mini-toasts, crostini, pretzel rods, breadsticks, crackers, and chips pair perfectly with this dip.
How Long Does French Onion Dip Last?
French Onion Dip will last about 7 days in the refrigerator if it is kept tightly covered (as long as the expiration date on your sour cream is still ok). It doesn’t freeze well because the sour cream will separate, making it grainy once it thaws.
More Chilled Dips
French Onion Dip
Cook Time 30 minutes
Chill 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 50 minutes
- Combine olive oil and onion in a small pan and cook over low heat until onion is golden. Be sure not to brown the onion, this is a very low and slow process and should take about 30 minutes or so. Cool completely.
- Stir remaining ingredients and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Calories: 221, Fat: 23g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 175mg, Potassium: 90mg, Carbohydrates: 4g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 1g, Vitamin A: 279%, Vitamin C: 2%, Calcium: 40%, Iron: 1%
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)