Lemon Chicken is a a flavorful meal that needs just a handful of ingredients!
Tender chunks of chicken are pan fried and tossed in a simple tangy-sweet lemon sauce. It’s better than takeout, not laden with fat and you can’t beat the fresh flavor! Serve this over rice for the perfect weeknight dinner.
To Make Chicken Tender
Have you ever had a Chinese stir-fry and wondered how they get the meat so darn tender? Most often it’s due to a technique called velveting.
Meat (beef or chicken) is marinated in a combination of egg white, cornstarch, oil and often other additives like vinegar. Cornstarch is a natural tenderizer (and used in this recipe as well as many of my stir fry recipes and even Mongolian Beef)!
How To Make Lemon Chicken
This easy chicken recipe is ready in just 3 simple steps!
- Dice chicken breasts and toss with egg mixture (per recipe below). Refrigerate while making the sauce.
- Stir fry the chicken in batches until golden brown.
- Add the sauce and cook until thick and bubbly. Toss with chicken and serve.
Pour the sauce right over if you are in a hurry, but I like to remove the chicken from the pan, deglaze the pan using the sauce, then add the chicken back in.
Garnish with lemon slices, green onion or chives and sesame seeds.
Lemon Chicken is a great dish to make ahead or make a double batch so that you’ll have lots of leftovers. It will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days for easy lunches!
Better Than Takeout Dishes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Marinate Time 15 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Chicken, Main Course
American, Asian Fusion
- Toss chicken with egg, cornstarch and soy sauce. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches and stir-fry until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add sauce and simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
Garnish with sesame seeds and lemon wedges (optional)
For a crispy chicken, marinated chicken can be dusted in corn starch and deep fried in small batches at 350°F for 4-5 minutes. Thicken sauce and toss with chicken.
Calories: 255, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 113mg, Sodium: 812mg, Potassium: 501mg, Carbohydrates: 22g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 13g, Protein: 27g, Vitamin A: 93%, Vitamin C: 9%, Calcium: 14%, Iron: 1%
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)