Nothing says cozy home cooking like Chicken Meatloaf. Seasoned ground chicken is stuffed with mozzarella cheese and nestled under a crunchy, cheesy topping.
This meatloaf makes a great dinner and leftovers are perfect tucked in a hamburger bun!
How To Make Chicken Meatloaf
This is one easy recipe to pull together. It’s no wonder meatloaf is a favorite of busy families everywhere!
- Mix meatloaf ingredients together and place on a prepared baking sheet.
- Make an indent down the middle, fill with mozzarella cheese. Top with remaining meatloaf mixture.
- Top with marinara sauce and bake. Sprinkle with breadcrumb topping and bake until crisp and delicious.
Allow the loaf to rest for a good 10 minutes to ensure it holds together when slicing (and this helps keep the cheese in the middle in tact. To make the cooking time faster, make chicken parmesan mini meatloaf, using your muffin tins or shaping into patties on a cookie sheet.
What to Serve With Chicken Meatloaf
Savory chicken parm meatloaf is a major hunger buster, especially because it’s the foundation for a balanced meal of meat, starch, and vegetables.
- Potatoes – Consider yummy fondant potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes or Dutchess potatoes. Sweet potato casserole would taste amazing with this meaty entrée as well. Such dishes always favor a little sweetness on the side!
- Sauce – Serve with extra marinara sauce, or a simple béchamel flavored with Italian herbs and parmesan for drizzling over slabs of meatloaf.
- Vegetables – Roasted vegetables can cook at the same time the chicken meatloaf is baking, and both will be ready to serve at about the same time! Season with Italian herbs to complement similar seasonings in the meatloaf.
To Make Ahead
For make-ahead convenience, prepare your loaf and refrigerate for no more than a day ahead of time. Or, provided the ground chicken has not been previously frozen, you can freeze, without the topping, for cooking at a later time. It will keep up to four months in the freezer.
Be sure to label it, and thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before cooking. If cooking from frozen, cook time may need to be increased slightly.
Can You Freeze It?
Leftovers can be frozen and will keep up to four months. I like to wrap slices individually in foil and then pack in a freezer bag for easy removal and re-heating. No need to thaw in advance.
Delicious Meatloaf Options
Parmesan Chicken Meatloaf
Cook Time 1 hour
Cool 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 35 minutes
Easy to prepare with juicy and tender results!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup onion diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 mozzarella cheese strings
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
Cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until softened. Cool completely.
Mix all meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl just until combined.
Place 2/3 of the mixture on the loaf pan and form into an 8″x4″ square. Make a small indent in the middle and add cheese. Top with remaining meat mixture and form a loaf sealing cheese in.
Top with marinara sauce and bake 45 minutes.
Combine bread crumbs, butter, parmesan cheese and parsley.
Top meatloaf with mozzarella and bread crumb topping. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until the center of the loaf reaches 165°F.
Cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Calories: 480, Fat: 28g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 185mg, Sodium: 1029mg, Potassium: 952mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 44g, Vitamin A: 526%, Vitamin C: 5%, Calcium: 328%, Iron: 3%
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)