Pigs in a Blanket made with little smokies, buttery biscuits, and stuffed with gooey cheese – this bite sized appetizer is always a hit!
JUMP TO RECIPE </a> </div> <ul> <li class="nav-heading">General</li><li><a class="" href="#what_are_pigs_in_a_blanket">What are pigs in a blanket?</a></li><li><a class="" href="#ingredients">Ingredients</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_make">How to make</a></li><li><a class="" href="#recipe">Get the recipe</a></li><li><a class=" watch-video" href="#recipe_video">Step-by-step video</a></li><li class="nav-heading">Frequently Asked Questions</li><li><a class="" href="#variations">Variations</a></li><li><a class="" href="#pairing_suggestions">Pairing suggestions</a></li><li><a class="" href="#making_ahead_of_time">Making ahead of time</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_store">How to store</a></li><li><a class="" href="#nutrition_info">Nutrition information</a></li></ul></div>
What’s a super easy-to-make, super yummy appetizer that’s a hit at every party? Yep, you guessed it. Pigs in a blanket!
You guys. These are so good! Bonus: they’re cute and mini! What’s not to love? 😉
What are pigs in a blanket?
Pigs in a blanket are a classic American appetizer – sausage gets wrapped in dough and baked to golden perfection.
And they’re super simple! Today, we’re using little smokies (the pig) wrapped in biscuit dough (the blanket.) Get it? 😉
Bonus: MY recipe includes one extra secret ingredient . . . CHEESE, because what’s better than ooey gooey melty cheese with buttery biscuits and savory little smokies?!
Just 3 ingredients needed for this quick and easy crowd favorite!
- Little Smokies – I love making these “appetizer-sized” with mini sausages. Feel free to use your favorite flavor. Cheese stuffed little smokies would be really yummy!
- American Cheese – the super processed kind that melts really well. You know what I’m talking about. 😉
- Biscuit Dough – use the refrigerated tube dough that contains 8 biscuits. Avoid the “flaky” variety, if possible, because they don’t hold together as well.
- Poppy Seeds (optional) – for garnish.
How to make
This yummy appetizer or kid friendly snack takes just 10 minutes to whip up!
- Working with one biscuit at a time, place the dough on a cutting board then use your hand to gently flatten it out.
- Top with one slice of American cheese.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the flattened biscuit into four equal strips.
- Place one little smokie onto the end of the biscuit strip then roll it up and seal the seam together. Repeat with each little smokie.
- Place them on two baking sheets lined with silicone baking mats, spray with cooking spray, then top with poppy seeds.
- Bake until the biscuits are lightly browned then serve and enjoy!
- Use a different cheese. I personally love the flavor of American cheese in this recipe, but other kinds would be delicious as well.
- Add bacon. Sprinkle bacon bits on the dough before rolling the smokie for some extra texture and flavor.
- Add more seasonings. I love the simplicity of this recipe, but everything bagel seasoning would be SUPER delicious as well.
- Use different hot dogs. You can use other hot dog or sausage flavors in this recipe. Be sure they are pre-cooked or, if not, cook them in advance.
- Make them vegetarian. Make vegetarian pigs in a blanket with veggie dogs!
What to serve with pigs in a blanket
Hosting a party or looking to filling out a meal? Here are some other yummy recipes that go well with pigs in a blanket.
These are also delicious as-is or dipped in ketchup, mustard, or even ranch dressing!
Can pigs in a blanket be made ahead of time?
They sure can. Just fully assemble them, place them on a silicone mat lined baking sheet, then store them, covered, in the refrigerator for 2-3 days before baking.
How to store
After baking, pigs in a blanket can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight (if frozen), then bake at 350 degrees F for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. You can also microwave them but this may affect the texture of the biscuits.
Pigs in a Blanket
- 32 little smokies
- 8 slices American cheese
- 1 (16.3 oz tube) refrigerated biscuits should contain 8 biscuits
- poppy seeds for garnish
Preheat oven to 350ºF and line two rimmed baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
Working with one biscuit at a time, place the dough on a cutting board, then use your hand to gently flatten it out.
Top each one with one slice of American cheese.
Use a pizza cutter to cut the flattened biscuit with cheese into 4 equal strips.
Place one little smokie onto the end of one biscuit strip, roll it up, then seal the seam together. Repeat with remaining smokies.
Place the wrapped smokies seam side down onto the prepared baking sheets. Spray with cooking spray, then top with poppy seeds.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes (17 was perfect for me) or until the biscuits are lightly browned and cooked through.