This Sausage Balls Recipe is the perfect party appetizer! Sausage is rolled with Bisquick baking mix, cheddar cheese, and spices and baked until golden-brown.
JUMP TO RECIPE </a> </div> <ul> <li class="nav-heading">General</li><li><a class="" href="#what_are_sausage_balls">What are sausage balls</a></li><li><a class="" href="#ingredients">Ingredients</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_make">How to make</a></li><li><a class="" href="#recipe">Get the recipe</a></li><li><a class=" watch-video" href="#recipe_video">Step-by-step video</a></li><li class="nav-heading">Frequently Asked Questions</li><li><a class="" href="#when_sausage_balls_are_done">When sausage balls are done?</a></li><li><a class="" href="#what_kind_of_meat_to_use">What kind of meat to use</a></li><li><a class="" href="#why_are_sausage_balls_flat">Why are sausage balls flat?</a></li><li><a class="" href="#tips">Tips</a></li><li><a class="" href="#variations">Variations</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_store">How to store</a></li><li><a class="" href="#nutrition_info">Nutrition information</a></li></ul></div>
These sausage balls are SO addicting. Trevor and I can reeeeeally pack these away. They’re moist, chewy, have a little crunch on the outside, and are next level when served with our favorite honey mustard.
What are sausage balls
Sausage balls are a quick and easy appetizer made with sausage, biscuit mix, and seasonings!
We’re taking these one step further and adding a few extra secret ingredients that take these over the top! 🙂
This ingredient list is very simple — I bet you already have these on hand!
- Breakfast Sausage – use your favorite variety. We like Jimmy Dean Hot!
- Bisquick Baking Mix – binds everything together. It kind of acts like breadcrumbs in a meatloaf recipe!
- Granulated Sugar – adds just a touch of sweetness to balance out the savory and spicy sausage.
- Pepper and Garlic Powder – a simple but effective seasoning duo.
- Worcestershire Sauce – adds some tang to balance out the rich cheese.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – gives that sharp, nutty, cheesy flavor.
How to make
These sausage balls are ready in 30 minutes with just 10 minutes of hands-on time.
- Place sausage, Bisquick, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl then mix until well-combined. Add in cheese and mix again.
- Use a small cookie scoop to portion the mixture into 32 bites. Use your hands to roll them into balls.
- Place the balls onto a greased cooling rack set on top of a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until golden-brown then serve and enjoy!
How do you know when sausage balls are done?
You’ll know that the sausage balls are done baking when the outside is golden-brown and the inside is no longer pink.
This will take anywhere from 15-25 minutes, so make sure you keep an eye on them after the 15 minute mark has passed so they don’t burn.
What kind of meat to use
Use a 16 ounce roll of breakfast pork sausage. I recommend using Jimmy Dean, but feel free to use whatever flavor you like. Trevor and I both love spicy food, so we use Jimmy Dean Hot.
If you’re not a fan of spicy sausage, try mild or medium instead.
Why are my sausage balls flat?
The balls should be able to hold their shape if you scoop them using a cookie scoop then roll them with your hands.
However, if they are going somewhat flat, it may be because you used pre-shredded cheese. Sometimes the anti-clumping agent can have an effect on the shape of the balls.
- Shred your own cheese. Shredding your own cheese adds more moisture to the balls. Pre-shredded cheese also is coated with an anti-clumping agent that can effect the shape.
- Use high-quality sausage. The sausage is really what makes this recipe. Use the good stuff!
- Spice it up. Mix in some red pepper flakes for extra heat.
- Use a different sausage. Try medium or mild breakfast sausage or even Italian sausage for a flavor variation.
- Swap the seasonings. Add in ranch dressing mix or taco seasonings to mix things up.
what to serve with sausage balls
If you’re looking for other appetizers to serve alongside this sausage ball recipe, here are some ideas!
How to store
Leftover sausage balls will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
To reheat, bake or microwave until heated through.
- 1 (16 oz) roll breakfast sausage we like hot
- 2 cups bisquick baking mix
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (16 oz) block sharp cheddar cheese shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
Place a wire oven safe cooling rack on top, then spray generously with cooking spray. Set aside.
Place sausage, bisquick, sugar, pepper, garlic powder, and Worcestershire into a large bowl.
Mix until well combined, then incorporate the cheese.
Use a small cookie scoop to scoop the mixture into 32 bites.
Use your hands to roll them into balls then place onto the prepared cooling rack.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown and sausage is cooked through.
Serve with honey mustard, sour cream, your favorite dipping sauce, etc.