These scotcheroos are a classic no bake peanut butter chocolate dessert bar! A WHOLE box of rice krispies is mixed with corn syrup, brown sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, and salt, then smothered with a creamy chocolate and butterscotch topping.
What are scotcheroo bars?
Scotcheroos are a no bake peanut butter chocolate dessert bar made with rice krispie cereal! The base of the bar is made with rice krispies, corn syrup, sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, and salt. The topping is made with melted chocolate and butterscotch chips.
Less than 10 ingredients to the most delicious, chewy, peanut butter-y, chocolatey dessert? Yes please!
- Rice Krispies cereal. Most recipes call for measuring out the cereal, but today, we’re using the whole box! Because really, what else are you going to do with the random 2 cups of cereal left?!
- Corn syrup. It can’t be avoided in this recipe, because it helps everything stick together, but I’ll link below if you’re looking for a corn syrup free scotcheroo!
- Brown sugar. Most recipes call for granulated sugar, but brown sugar adds more depth and flavor!
- Peanut butter. Creamy peanut is the way to go and gives scotcheroos that classic peanut buttery, creamy flavor!
- Vanilla extract adds depth and flavor to all the desserts you’ll find on this site!
- Salt balances out the sweetness and brings out all those yummy flavors.
- Chocolate chips. Semi-sweet, milk, or dark chocolate . . . the choice is yours! I prefer semi-sweet for that perfect sweet, but not too sweet flavor.
- Butterscotch chips. Some recipes will call for peanut butter chips, but the butterscotch chips give these bars a little extra somethin’ somethin’.
How to make scotcheroos
- Bring corn syrup and brown sugar to a boil over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Once boiling, turn off the heat, then stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Pour over cereal and mix to combine.
- Dump into prepared 9×13 baking dish. Grease hands with cooking spray and gently press down.
- Place chocolate/butterscotch into a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Melt until smooth.
- Spread over bars.
- Cool completely before slicing and serving.
How many cups of rice krispies are in a box?
There are 10 cups in a 12 oz box of cereal. Most recipes call for you to measure out the cereal, but for today’s recipe, we’re using the whole box!
How to store scotcheroos
Room temperature: store sliced bars in a sealed airtight container for up to a week.
Fridge: store sliced bars in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Let come to room temperature before serving or they may be too hard.
Freezer: slice bars as per the recipe directions, make sure the chocolate layer has completely hardened, then wrap each bar in saran wrap. Place in a sealed gallon sized baggie or sealed tupperware container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. Let thaw at room temperature before serving.
Why are my scotcheroos hard?
If your scotcheroos are too hard you either over boiled your sugar mixture or pressed the bars too firmly into the pan. Over boiling the sugar causes the sugar to heat to the hard-crack stage and pressing the bars too firmly in the pan over compacts them.
Luckily for you, it’s really hard to do either of those, so just follow the directions and use a gentle hand!
Can i make these without corn syrup?
Corn syrup is essential for making these scotcheroos. It’s sticky, so it helps to bind these bars together. If you’re following a recipe that calls for corn syrup, I would not recommend making any substitutions. Luckily for you, I’ve developed an entirely different recipes for scotcheroos made without corn syrup!
Saucepan – 1 Quart
9″ x 13″ Baking Dish
- 12 oz box Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 cups corn syrup
- 2 cups brown sugar packed
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz package chocolate chips
- 12 oz package butterscotch chips
Grease a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray and line with a parchment sling. Set aside.
Place rice krispies into a VERY large bowl. Set aside.
Place corn syrup and brown sugar in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Once boiling, turn off the heat, then stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and salt.
Pour over cereal and mix to combine.
Pour into prepared pan. Grease hands with cooking spray and gently press down. Set aside.
Place chocolate chips and butterscotch chips into a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Melt until smooth.
Spread over bars.
Cool completely before slicing and serving.