This Tartar Sauce is a thick, creamy, mayo-based sauce that’s absolutely packed with flavors like dill, onion, and garlic. It’s the perfect addition to any seafood dish and makes a delicious dipping sauce for sweet potato fries.
<div id="smty_quick_nav" class="smty-quick-nav"> <div class="smty-nav-header"> Quick Navigation </div> <div class="get_the_recipe_button"> <a href="#"> JUMP TO RECIPE </a> </div> <ul> <li class="nav-heading">General</li><li><a class="" href="#what_is_tartar_sauce">What is tartar sauce?</a></li><li><a class="" href="#ingredients">Ingredients</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_make">How to make</a></li><li><a class="" href="#recipe">Get the recipe</a></li><li class="nav-heading">Frequently Asked Questions</li><li><a class="" href="#tartar_sauce_vs_cream_of_tartar">Tartar sauce vs cream of tartar</a></li><li><a class="" href="#is_tartar_sauce_healthy">Is tartar sauce healthy?</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_thicken">How to thicken</a></li><li><a class="" href="#pairing_suggestions">Pairing suggestions</a></li><li><a class="" href="#how_to_store">How to store</a></li><li><a class="" href="#nutrition_info">Nutrition information</a></li></ul></div>
What is tartar sauce
Tartar sauce is a condiment with a mayonnaise base and seasoned with various herbs, spices, and other additions such as capers or pickles, onion, garlic, and dill.
Not all are tartar sauces are exactly the same! In this case, I didn’t use capers or lemon juice. Instead, I used dill pickle relish and pickle juice!
This recipe only requires 7 ingredients, most of which you probably have in your kitchen already!
- Mayonnaise – the base for the sauce. For a lightened-up version, use avocado or olive oil-based mayo, a light mayo, or even plain yogurt!
- Dill Pickle Relish – I love the tang of dill pickles, but if you don’t, try substituting with capers.
- Pickle Juice – again, if you’re not a big fan of pickles, use lemon juice instead.
- Grated Onion – adds a slightly sweet, acidic taste.
- Salt and Pepper – brings out other flavors and adds a little spice.
- Garlic Powder – rounds out the acidity of the onion and pickle with its nutty taste.
- Dried Dill – gives the sauce that fresh, herbaceous aroma and taste.
How to make tartar sauce
- Combine all your ingredients in mixing bowl then serve immediately or store in a mason jar in the fridge!
Yep! That’s actually it, folks! Then you’ve got an absolutely delicious, creamy condiment to pair with your seafood, fries, or whatever you like!
What’s the difference between tartar sauce and cream of tartar?
Although these two things sound similar, they are actually not alike at all. Cream of tartar is a dry, white powder that’s used in cooking as a stabilizer or leavening agent. Tartar sauce, on the other hand, is a mayonnaise-based sauce often served with seafood!
Is tartar sauce healthy?
This sauce is mayo-based so it’s not the healthiest of sauce options. However, to lighten it up you could swap regular mayo for a lighter mayo like olive oil or avocado oil mayo. You could even try swapping the mayo for plain yogurt!
How do you thicken tartar sauce
If you like your sauce to be extra thick and creamy, try adding more mayo and reducing the amount of pickle juice! Play around with it until you find the consistency that’s just right for you!
What to serve with tartar sauce
As I said, this sauce often accompanies seafood so I love it with my baked corn crab cakes and my air fryer fish sticks. I also love to use it as a dipping sauce for my air fryer chicken nuggets or my baked sweet potato fries!
What are YOUR favorite things to serve tartar sauce with? Let me know in the comments below!
How to store
Mason Jar – 8oz
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Place ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
Serve and enjoy!