Cozy up with our best casseroles from the last year. These recipes are the ones our readers loved, made and shared the most in 2019.
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- Chopped fresh parsley and cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat until cooked through, breaking into crumbles, 5-7 minutes; drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the hash browns, soup, cheeses, onion, peppers and pepper flakes. Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with panko.
- Bake, uncovered, until golden brown and bubbly, 40-45 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and cilantro before serving.
Test Kitchen tips The 8 ounces of sausage in this casserole doesn’t sound like a lot but adds a ton of flavor. This is rich enough for a side dish, but it can be served as a main dish, too.
3/4 cup: 316 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 611mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.